Fireplace mantels are often a focal point in your home, whether operating or not. (Unfortunately, mine is non-functioning.) However, the functionality of your fireplace has nothing to do with how great it looks!
In Texas you really don't get much use out of it, but sometimes it's just nice to have a fire in the wintertime (Yes, it does get cold here in the winter. Just not for very long.)
|I like to mix patterns and shapes to give it an interesting look|
Some people think less is more. Some people think more is well, more. I think: Whatever you like is how you should do it. Not everyone will like your style but if you enjoy it then go for it. After all, aren't you the one that is going to look at it day after day? That's what I thought.
So, here a few tips and tricks for decorating your mantel:
* It doesn't matter your style - more or less - levels are the most important!
* Be eclectic - your mantel should represent you
* Show off some of your own work - everyone has a little artist in them
* Mirrors - mirrors are a great way to add character as well as opening up a room
* Work with it - If you don't like it start over
(I worked with mine for days, changing my mind and moving things around)
|Note some family pieces and original artwork|
* Statement pieces - you really want something to draw the observers eye
* Texture - you don't want it all to have the same surface, BORING!
*Pattern - mix it up! Give your eyes a ride; it's much more fun!
Well, there you have it! I hope this helps you out; so go and re-do your mantel. I know you want too.
P.S. Not an expert, I just do this for a living.