Blog

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Decorating Tips and Tricks: "Formal Sitting Room/Entry Way"

     Not so long ago, people had designated rooms in their houses for certain things. Now, don't get me wrong, some people still do, but I like to be a little more creative with my spaces.

This is right as you walk through the front door. I love cozy corners. 
     When my husband and I first bought our house, the rooms were named, like usual, the "Formal Living Room", the "Formal Dining Room", etc. I know sometimes when you see these labels it's hard to invision anything else there. For me, I have close my eyes and remove all the labels from the rooms and think of what I would put there.

Thomas and I are a musical family. This bench easily holds all his drum hardware. 
     When you first walk into our house, all you really see is a big space. Now, the labels called it a "Formal Living Room" but I didn't really want the "Formal Living Room" to be right when you enter. I really wanted to break up the space. So what I did was make an entry way/sitting space where the "formal living room" was suppose to be and make the "formal dining room" the living room. I know some people still like to have that formal dining space for special occasions, but my house is a little smaller so I didn't feel like I needed it.


Get creative! I turned this ammo crate into shelving. 

I'll post more pics later. I've been doing some rearranging because we are going to get a piano soon. So i've been racking my brain figuring out where to put it!


I'm not a professional; I just do this for a living.
-- Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment