Blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

What She Made: DIY Magnet Chalkboard

      Chalkboard paint is pretty easy to come by. It's in every craft and home improvement store around. However, it is a little expensive. My solution to everything that's expensive; just make it! I wanted a chalkboard for my art/craft studio, but I also wanted it to be magnetized so I could stick memos and notes up.

When I found a piece of thick sheet metal in our garage, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.

I like making my own because you can make any color you like! 
     What you need is paint of any type and color (I just used craft paint) and un-sanded tile grout. Yup, that's it! Next, I mixed about a cup of paint with two tablespoons of the grout. Mix well! It will still be a little gritty but you can get rid of that later.

     If you are one of those patient people that don't mind waiting then you can prime your piece. Me? I'm not one of those patient people so I bypassed the priming stage (Also, I didn't have any on hand and didn't want to go to the store). I painted one coat with a regular bristle brush and let it dry. After covering the whole piece, I then took a foam roller and gave it another good coat. 

It only needed two coats but as I was rolling I kept scratching the surface; so I  went ahead and gave it one last coat. It's optional though. 
     After you let it completely dry, Take a very fine-grit piece of sandpaper and lightly sand the entire board. 

After sanding.
Next, I took a piece of chalk and used the side to "condition" the board.

Just use the side; if you use the point it will take forever!
     Once you are done "conditioning" the board, get a damp paper towel and wipe down the entire board. This helps remove excess pigments left by the paint.

And voila`! 

Learn more about Small Change here!
You know have your very own, custom made, magnet chalkboard! 

I'm not an expert; I just do this for a living.
-- Amanda

2 comments: